The Real Cost of Bad Onboarding with Kristen Gallagher – E74
Mandi Ellefson’s guest is Kristen Gallagher, founder and CEO of Edify, the frictionless way to onboard software engineers. Edify functionally tailors onboarding to each client’s teams, which works to attract, keep, and grow great employees while helping them get back the time they need.
You’ll hear Mandi and Kristen talk about:
- “One of the top reasons for team dysfunction is that context isn’t being shared properly,” Kristen says. In their desire to be transparent, a lot of business owners and executives are sharing a lot of information, but not everybody in the organization has the context they need to properly interpret it. This ends up causing more conflict in the team than you might expect. [3:27]
- Kristen shares what a new hire’s experience should be like on their first day. [13:29]
- “The high failure rate for hiring could be prevented if people took the time to outline their expectations,” Kristen advises. In the onboarding process, you should have a checklist of what you require a new hire to do and what success looks like. [23:06]
- Kristen gives insights into an effective hiring process. “Hiring for a small business is going to look different than for a large business.” Employees going into large businesses with prolific track records have had large support systems at other large businesses, and there is no guarantee that they can achieve the same results doing it all by themselves. [27:39]
- Mandi and Kristen discuss the importance of a cool-off period. When circumstances occur that trigger your emotions, you shouldn’t react immediately. Take time to get out of the emotional high and reflect on the situation – you don’t want to burn your bridges. [37:54]